Wednesday 17 October 2012

What's on your Workdesk Wednesday no1 (for me!)


As you can see the monster party bags for Milly's 3rd birthday are in full flow... I've got these four pinned and ready to stitch together as & when the girls allow. The trick to parenting and creativity and NOT losing the plot is to be prepared! Even if said prep is being done at midnight the night before so I'll be hanging for most of the day. 

This batch of bags are all a bit more squat than I'd like: being someone who hates careful measuring and planning things out, I just ripped up the lovely old sheet I'm using into rough strips without thinking what size the bags would end up being. Never mind, they'll still do the job, though some of the monsters may have to hold their hats.

I'm trying really hard to keep my desk neat these days; something I find really difficult. I have a tendency when I stop doing anything to just abandon all the bits I've been using until they build up into a shaky towering mess which I then have to undo and put away the next time I get five minutes to work on something. Which of course takes up the whole five minutes and means I don't get to do anything fun before being pulled away onto the next child-based activity.

So, along with planning ahead for future creative time, I'm also trying to be tidy. 

I may even become a real grown-up one of these days and keep the house tidy too.

Nah.

My mum & uncle are visiting tomorrow so in actual fact the house is unnaturally (weirdly) tidy anyway so I'm feeling (tiredly) pleased. I don't know why I have to present my home to my family in this way, it's most odd. Their visits are quite rare, unlike Jude's family who we see a lot more of, so I think there must be some psychological need to impress them somehow; that I'm capable of looking after my own brood perhaps? 

Anyway! Today I'm linking up for the first time with Julia at Stamping Ground for What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday.... it's brilliant having a look at all those creative spaces in full flow! Plus it makes me feel a bit better about the mess I'm usually trying to work in...


x Enjoy! x



22 comments:

  1. Morning Chloe - welcome to WOYWW - you may have to forget the tidying for an hour or so! The desk hopping is very morish - just like chocolate - naughty but nice! Love your little monster party bags. I am sure they will be kept to store other treasures once the birthday treats are gone. Have a great week WOYWW Hugs from Helen 77

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to having a good snoop around!! That's the idea with the bags, that they'll be kept and used again and again.... my middle girl is obsessed with her bags - worse than me! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  2. Yes I totally agree - WOYWW is totally addictive; I do look forward to Wednesdays. Those party bags look fab. Happy Wednesday. :o)
    Sue x (MiniOwner @ 76)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What have I let myself in for! I seem to spend all my spare time on the 'pooter as it is... never mind, it's nice to meet new people!! Thanks for commenting x

      Delete
  3. Welcome, I just returned to WOYWW last week after a break of a couple of months. Forgot how much I enjoyed it! Love the party bags x #95

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suzanne! Will come and have a browse over at yours later today! Thanks for dropping by x

      Delete
  4. Adorable monsters!! I always tidy up for my family too. LOL It is just a natural thing to do. Are you fusing the monsters onto the bag? Welcome to WOYWW. It is so fun!!
    Karen 115

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn, you're right, I should be using something like that, it would be much sturdier. I was just going to stitch them down - didn't think of that.... Thanks for the welcome!

      Delete
  5. Hi Chloe,

    Welcome to WOYWW!!! Those little monsters are very adorable!

    Isn't it funny how we feel the need to tidy up for some people. When I start digging round in my craft closets it causes the entire downstairs to look cluttered. Then I slowly put stuff back into the closets. I'll be taking things out of the closet to get ready for my Craft Fair in a couple of weeks. Chaos!!

    Thanks for visiting me already!

    Hugs, Kay #18

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay! Thanks for the welcome - I'm having lots of fun poking around everyone's desks... it's so interesting seeing how other people work isn't it? I swear it takes three times as long to put stuff back as it does to get it out in the first place...

      Delete
  6. It's lovely to see you in WOYWW, welcome.
    Your monster bags are looking great, you have a very lucky little girl there who has a very clever Mum. I think we all feel the need to tidy when our parents visit, like you say, we feel the need to show we can look after ourselves, even though my MIL always says she comes to visit us, not the house!!! Very wise she is!!
    Happy WOYWW
    Hugs Lisax #84

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, I've been made to feel very welcome by everyone, what a lovely happy group you are! Do you know, I don't have anywhere near the same compulsion with my MIL; she is perfectly happy to take us as she finds us... Thank you for your kind comment! x

      Delete
  7. A big welcome ! Great to see your monsters ! I tidy like mad when Mum comes & I don't even have kids - think it is to show her she did a good job rearing me !! Don't we all want our Mum to be proud of us !! Hope they have a great visit ! Ali #48

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to WOYWW, it's lots of fun. Where else can I go to see monsters on a Wed. a.m. Love the surprises I find on desks around the globe. Thanks for dropping by my blog; I hope to see you again soon. S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly will! It's been brilliant snooping around! :-)

      Delete
  9. yay - someone else who doesn't measure or plan out!! Me too, and I'm just the same with cooking :D I love fabrics and beads of all sorts, I don't papercraft at all.
    Welcome to the Madhouse :D
    Hugs, LLJ #56 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! A partner in craft indeed! I'll come and check out your desk once the Lion King's finished (yawn - only the millionth viewing!) xx

      Delete
  10. Welcome!! You'll find it's hideously addictive, but wonderfully affirming to find all these kindred spirits... Those bags are going to go down a treat.
    Alison x
    #31

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison! I hope I make it back this Wednesday :-)

      Delete
  11. I bet this 3 year olds party is going to be the talk of the town! Those party bags are coming along gorgeously! I closed my eyes this weekend on house cleaning too, it'll be there later LOL! Tamika #124

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I manage to get them finished that is!! If we haven't drowned in dust bunnies by next Wednesday, I'll be back....

      Delete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to write ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...