I haven't posted for a while mainly due to feeling exceedingly tired, but I have plenty to write about - at least I think I do until I sit down and try to access it - so I'll try to get a few posts out in the next few days.
My first proper crochet project is nearing completion: a blanket for baby 3:
|Hanging in the hedge, as our clothes line has snapped!|
|Detail: you can see the joins more clearly here (as well as my belly getting in shot as usual)|
Each row was made separately in treble crochet and then they were all sewn together with a seam of double crochet added afterwards. I didn't follow any patterns as I just wanted a bright patchwork effect, and although I am really pleased with it, there are a few things I learnt along the way! The main problem with using such a variety of yarn is trying to match the squares up at the end, as they're all slightly different sizes. Next time I would use a similar weight throughout to help keep the squares in proportion. Also, to keep the seams really loose: these were way too tight, adding even more to the crazy ripple effect!
I could probably ease it all into a better shape by blocking it, but I can't be bothered! I'm quite happy with it as it is, plus I'm eager to get going on the next piece as I would LOVE to make a multicoloured blanket for our bed. Especially now I've learnt (on the final strip of this blanket of course!) how to add in new wool without leaving a zillion scrappy ends hanging out which take FOREVER to work in at the end - yup, I still haven't finished them all, yawn.
I've also added a double crochet border in the same dark blue edging yarn just to tidy it all up, and I am wondering now whether it would be overkill to add a pretty scalloped edge as well... I haven't found a decent tutorial yet, so I wouldn't know where to start, but I guess I could probably figure it out.